Sunday, February 11, 2007

Back to My Roots








Hello All,


I've finished my Ugly Duckling block ( I think ) LOL . Janet says that it looks very Kansas. This block just screamed Country, so I went for it.
You see my family is so country it's scary, to a citified girl like me. My paternal Grandpa ,Harry ,was a moonshiner. He used to run moonshine in Kentucky, hiding his wares in watermelons. He later settled down, had 9 kids and became a barber in Cincinnati . His clients included members of the Big Red Machine in the 70's, yes he was responsible for Johnny Bench's haircut, but I hope to God not for Pete Rose's!

My Dad was in the Seminary to become a priest but he dropped out to join the Air Force. Then he met my Mother. She was brought up a Mennonite share farmer in Missouri and Nebraska.

When they married they compromised and became Lutheran and moved to the big city . (Columbus , Ohio and Denver, Colorado)

So you see doing a country theme on this simple for this Moonshine running, hillbilly, dirt busting, Mennonite, Catholic converted Lutheran city girl.

No wonder my husband says I have at least 2 personalities!!

I decided to embrace my inner orange and go for it. So there is ALOT of orange.Who says you can't have glass beads and crows on the same block.
I did cheat, the Rooster is an iron applique and the bumble bee and lady bug are store bought.

I am quite happy with how it turned out. Sometimes you just stop fighting the block and go with the flow.

I finally got " Janet's Fault" basted. This one should end up pretty good if I can translate what I have in my mind onto the quilt. I really like all the black in it.I am going for a very antique look on this one.I have very wide lace like edges done in ecru in mind for the fan edges. Carole Sample's Treasury of Crazy Quilt stitches has a lot of very nice borders in it that should look great here.
I have also heard that her publisher will no longer be printing her book, so if you want it you may have to work fast

I only have one more quilt lined up to piece. It is a 50's inspired pin up girl quilt for the hubby, to keep his tootsies warm in the basement watching movies on his big screen TV

Gotta go do some work

Later,
Lauri

2 comments:

Susan said...

Yes, that block can no longer be called an ugly block! It's very farm-like. You did an outstanding job.

I like the looks of this next project, too. Can hardly wait to see your work on it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori, I like your fan quilt very much, it looks antique already. Wow, I am looking forward to see it embellished.